Junior Varsity

Trinity 17, St. James 10

For the second time this season, the junior varsity teams from St. James and Trinity played a hard-fought game that was not decided until the last minute. Grayden Flowers kicked a 20 yard field goal for the Wildcats on their first offensive drive to give them a 3-0 lead. The teams traded punts for most of the remainder of the first half. St. James took a 7-3 lead with 20 seconds remaining when Cosner Harrison ran 32 yards on a quarterback sweep. Holt Harrison added the extra point.

Trinity responded on the first drive of the third quarter, retaking the lead with a 1-yard touchdown run by Coleman Stanley. Flowers’ extra point gave Trinity a 10-3 lead. The Trojans responded with an amazing 20-play drive that consumed more than 10 minutes of clock time, mostly on the legs of Harrison and Clayton Craft. The drive stalled and Harrison kicked a 19-yard field goal to tie the game with just over six minutes remaining.

Trinity quickly responded six plays later with a touchdown by Mac McClinton from 3 yards out and the extra point made the score 17-10. St. James grinded down the field and had the ball at the Wildcat 7 with under 15 seconds remaining, but two passes were out of the back of the end zone and Trinity held on for their second victory over the Trojans in the 2019 season.

Trinity (7-0), the Capital City Conference junior varsity champions, will play the G.W. Carver junior varsity on Oct. 21. St. James (1-5) returns home to finish its season versus Catholic on Monday.

Middle School

St. James 14, Trinity 12

In a score which duplicated the first meeting on Labor Day, St. James won its 13th straight middle school game and in the process clinched sole possession atop the Capital City Conference middle school standings.

The Trojans fumbled on their opening drive but scored on the next possession after a bad snap on a Trinity punt. K.J. Jackson scored the touchdown from 5 yards out and added the two-point conversion run for an 8-0 lead.

Trinity had only earned one first down until its final first half drive and Randal McClinton finished up the drive with an 8-yard touchdown pass to Christopher Gaston. The conversion pass failed, leaving St. James with an 8-6 lead at the half.

Trinity took the lead with 2:42 remaining in the game on a 4-yard touchdown run by McClinton, marking the first time all season St. James trailed in a game. The conversion run came up inches short, leaving Trinity with a 12-8 lead.

The Trojans, which had been lethargic on offense since their early scoring drive, promptly went down the field. Jackson picked up 26 yards on a quarterback keeper and several plays later – moments after a near-interception that would have ended the drive -- Jackson connected on a sideline pass where an amazing balancing catch by Emmett Rasmussen gave the Trojans first down and goal at the Wildcat 5. Jackson scored on the next play with 30 seconds remaining.

Clint Houser failed on the two-point conversion run and was slightly injured on the play, but stayed in the game and made the game-clinching interception moments later to seal the game and championship.

Trinity (5-2) completed their season, while St. James (6-0) looks to extend its school-record winning streak to 14 games as the Trojans host Catholic in the final game of the season Monday night at Carlisle Field.